LITTLE ROCK, Ark.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Windstream, a privately held communications and software company, today released its 2021 Environmental, Social and Governance Report, highlighting the accelerated pace and expanded scope of its ESG programs and disclosures during the past year.
“I am proud of the progress that Windstream made across a range of Environmental, Social and Governance factors in 2021,” said Tony Thomas, president and CEO of Windstream. “We have more to do, but Windstream has clearly positioned itself to continue to minimize environmental impacts, to treat customers, employees and partners fairly, and to govern itself with the highest ethical standards. We firmly believe that our aspirational ESG goals not only help our business but also ensure we do our part to be good citizens of this planet.”
Windstream’s governing Board of Managers through its ESG Committee provides oversight of the company’s ESG programs.
Since Earth Day 2021, Windstream has:
- Received the top ESG risk rating among U.S.-based telecommunications providers in September 2021 by Sustainalytics, a Morningstar company. In January 2022, Windstream was recognized as a Sustainalytics ESG Industry Top Rated company (telecommunications) and a Regional Top Rated company (U.S. and Canada).
- Received a “B,” or Management band, score from the CDP, formerly known as the Carbon Disclosure Project.
- Increased use of renewable energy by 23% and reduced emissions tied to the electricity needed to power operations by 11.9%.
- Announced plans to more rapidly reduce its Scope 2 purchased electricity greenhouse gas emissions. The company now will reduce Scope 2 purchased electricity emissions 40 percent by 2025. The previous target was to reduce those emissions 30 percent (from a 2019 baseline) by 2035.
- Reaffirmed Windstream’s commitment to the UN Global Compact to promote accountability and stakeholder engagement in the areas of human rights, labor and environment. Windstream also is committed to the UNGC’s Sustainable Development Goals and believes the company can make a substantial impact towards achieving targets across the seven SDGs relevant to our industry and company, as outlined in the 2021 ESG report.
Windstream’s 2021 ESG report is available here.
Windstream Holdings is a privately held Fortune® 1000 communications and software company. Windstream, included on Newsweek’s Most Loved Workplaces list for 2021, offers managed communications services, including SD-WAN and UCaaS, and high-capacity bandwidth and transport services to businesses across the U.S. The company also provides premium broadband, entertainment and security services through an enhanced fiber network to consumers and small and midsize businesses primarily in rural areas in 18 states. Additional information is available at windstream.com or windstreamenterprise.com. Follow us on Twitter at @Windstream.
From Fortune. ©2021 Fortune Media IP Limited. All rights reserved. Used under license. Fortune and Fortune 1000 are registered trademarks of Fortune Media IP Limited and are used under license. Fortune is not affiliated with, and does not endorse products or services of, Windstream.